If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what is the worth of a genuine “smile“?
Imagine the impact on:
- A prospective new hire coming into the organization for an initial interview. A smile says,” so good of you to consider us as your career choice. We are happy to learn more about you and how you might fit into our business.”
- An anxious new hire, starting on the first day. Friendly, smiling faces on the Manager, Supervisor, Colleagues conveys “Welcome, great to meet you and invite you to be a valuable contributor on our team.”
- An employee being asked to take on a challenging task or assignment. A smile from the delegating leader offers encouragement and confidence in the employee’s abilities to complete the work well.
- An apprehensive associate participating in the year end Performance Review. A congenial smile from the appraiser implies recognition and appreciation for goals accomplished, and collaboration for solving performance issues or concerns.
- An exuberant employee on the verge of promotion, career advancement. The smiling expressions of all involved shouts “Congratulations, well done. You deserve it.”
These are just a few of the many opportunities that abound for engaging employees. Be they significant, or just a brief encounter of “hello, welcome to work today,” the accompanying smile knits a bond of connectivity, of employee to the organization, to the work group, and to the customers or clients served.
If you think about it, it doesn’t take a lot of time, and it doesn’t cost any money, but a genuine smile can be worth thousands of Employee Engagement Credits. These credits convert to retention, productivity, high morale, and customer satisfaction.
Engage your employees and colleagues with a smile, and expand the credits for “High Potential Employees.”